BECOME A BOARD MEMBER
Volunteers make an invaluable contribution to the quality of A New Beginning Animal Rescue's initiatives, enabling us to ensure that each animal we rescue is safe, well-cared for, loved, and given a chance to find its forever home.
ANBAR's volunteer experience offers dedicated individuals the chance to meet a group of like-minded individuals who want to help us end pet homelessness, as well as opportunities to become agents of change and help further the organization's goals and vision to new levels each year.
A NEW BEGINNING ANIMAL RESCUE (ANBAR) IS EXPANDING ITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS -
SEEKING VOLUNTEER MEMBERS
ANBAR is seeking candidates to join its volunteer Board of Directors. This is an exciting time for growth and expansion for ANBAR, and this opportunity provides a rewarding and meaningful way to contribute to this vibrant organization and enhance the quality of life of rescued companion animals.
We are seeking to expand our Board of Directors with diverse, committed, and accomplished companion animal rescue champions who are leaders in industry, law, media, marketing/public relations, animal rescue services, accounting (CPA), finance, philanthropy, and education - and are passionate for the mission of A New Beginning Animal Rescue. You don't need to be based in Utah to be part of ANBAR's Board of Directors.
If you are interested in sharing your professional expertise and vision for a better community, please provide a copy of your resume, together with cover letter, to Gabrielle "Gabi" Johnson, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A New Beginning Animal Rescue seeks board members who
- Possess substantial leadership skills, and are equipped for strategic leadership;
- Visionary and future-focused, possessing an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Risk-takers, who balance the need to take chances with the traditional stewardship responsibilities of board service;
- Strategic decision makers who, in partnership with staff leadership, utilize a range of planning approaches and tools;
- Effective communicators, who understand the importance of good communication at all levels;
- Collaborators, who can work as a team to achieve a shared vision;
- Appreciate the strength of diversity including ideas, gender, ethnicity and geography
- Ability to support the organization’s fundraising efforts by: making a personal contribution and/or help raise a minimum of $1000 annually; identifying prospective donors; attending fundraising events, and soliciting funds through other networking events;
- Ability to network within the community and professional connections to build relationships, generate leads and identify opportunities for those outside the organization to support the vision and mission of ANBAR;
- Willingness to commit to attend all (most) of the board meetings;
- Willingness to take an active role by serving on one of the standing committees and participating in discussions, fundraising activities and decisions that are put before the Board;
- A passion for the mission on behalf of all of ANBAR's constituents;
- Previous nonprofit board or work experience preferred but not required.
- Three year term (up to one consecutive term)
- Year1: Monthly Meetings, location to be determined. Meetings will last approx. 2.5 hours
- Quarterly full board meetings
- Committee meetings as determined
- Participate in 1 adoption event each quarter. Adoption events last approx. 5 hours
BOARD MEMBER BENEFITS:
- The opportunity to directly affect the lives of our companion animals and communities
- Name recognition on ANBAR’s website, Quarterly Newsletter, Event Invitations, and Annual Report
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Business Acumen: Knows how businesses work; understands the competitive landscape; is aware of how specific strategies and tactics work in the for-profit/nonprofit sectors.
- Managing Vision & Purpose: Communicates/supports a compelling and inspired vision or sense of purpose for ANBAR; discusses possibilities; is optimistic; creates milestone to rally support behind the vision; encourages others to own the vision; can inspire and motivate organizations, communities and constituencies.
- Conflict Management: Actively manages/resolves conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; good at balanced listening; can navigate tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground, fosters cooperation and strives for win-win solutions.
- Decision Quality: Makes thoughtful decisions, even under tight timelines; decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; decisions are made with confidence; takes ownership for the outcomes of decisions. Is sought out by others in the business/ nonprofit community for advice/solutions.
- Organizational Agility: Becomes/is familiar with the expectations, priorities and values of ANBAR’s stakeholders; understands the balance of authority/responsibilities between the organization and the Board; understands how the organization works and the nature of its culture. Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by the ANBAR mission, objectives, and programs
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to a diverse community of people--from inside and outside the ANBAR organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse high-tension situations comfortably; values good work relationships.
- Listening: Practices attentive and active listening; demonstrates willingness to listen to diverse perspectives/ideas; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees. Actively encourages and supports others to share their thinking.
- Action Oriented: Is energized by challenging situations/problems. Enjoys working hard and is comfortable moving forward with a minimum of planning. Sees challenges as opportunities to overcome. Takes a proactive approach in their work.
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans. Keeps an eye on the competitive landscape.
- Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly hones in on the critical few to achieve business objectives; keen sense for identifying and removing barriers to ensure established goals are reached.
- Actively creates focus and clarity.
A New Beginning Animal Rescue (ANBAR) is a Utah-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. ANBAR is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination in volunteer, employment, opportunity, and services because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or age.